Look at that SHINY new boom! And the boom vang is back in place, as are the reefing lines, the outhaul, etc. Progress!

Another update only a week after the last?! What the… It’s true: stuff’s a-happenin’. Slower than it should and WAY later than it should have, but better late than never, I guess.

So, it’s Tuesday evening and I’m sitting topside beneath a beautiful summer twilight sky. The humidity is blissfullly low and I have some tunes going and I had dinner earlier (street tacos for Taco Tuesday) with a couple of dear friends so, yeah, it’s been a good evening. And I’ve been out here under similar circumstances for several nights recently. I’m back on board and life is just better. Not easier, not by a long shot. Life on board is, as I’ve said often, not for everyone. But for me? Yeah. These recent evenings alone…all the reason I need.

And on top of that, the riggers are proceeding apace. I was down in the main cabin a little after eight this morning, eating breakfast (yogurt and blueberries) and doing some honest-to-god work (see if there’s any breaking news, check the company’s Twitter feed, etc.) when I heard some feet step on board and felt Further roll a bit. I stuck my head topside and Angus was at the mast. I think I surprised him a bit when I said, “Good morning.”

With him arriving on site I opted to clear out and go work in the office of friends and former employers, S&J Yachts. It’s just down Back Creek a bit and their wifi is better and this way I wasn’t going to be in Angus’ way nor was I going to be distracted wondering what he was doing.

And when I got home at the end of the day en route to the aforementioned Taco Tuesday fun, I found that Angus had done the work seen in the attached photograph: the boom is back on (after being refinished and painted, just like the oh-so-shiny new mast), the boom vang as well, the outhaul and reefing lines that run through the mast are all brand new and in place, the traveler is back in place with some (not all) new components and new line, and the new mainsheet is coiled and hanging from the boom while the new running backstays are coiled and hanging from the mast pulpit.

There’s still no backstay (let alone the insulators on said backstay that are the primary instigator of all this delay), no flag halyards and the wires and cables coming from the mast (for the wind instruments, the radar, the wifi booster, etc.) are still just hanging in the cabin.

But there HAS BEEN progress. So I’m choosing to focus on that aspect of things.

That, and the serenity of spending most evenings watching the stars and listening to tunes (tonight’s selection is Goose). Ahhhhhhh….